The Student Transformative Experiences to Progress Under-represented Professionals (STEP-UP) in Cancer Prevention Program is now selecting trainees for Summer 2020. The program is seeking Undergraduate and Master’s level students who are under-represented in cancer research and practice to come to the University of Arizona for a 12-week educational experience in cancer prevention and control.
To apply you will need:
- A one to two page personal statement that answers
- Why are you applying for this summer training program what do you hope to gain?
- Which college-level course or other academic experience have you found most rewarding and interesting up to this point in your career and why?
- How has your coursework, research, community activities or work experience influenced or supported your interest in cancer prevention and control?
- In what capacity do you see yourself contributing to the cancer workforce in the future?
- A copy of your unofficial transcript
- A copy of your resume or CV
- Email address for two individuals that can offer a reference on your behalf (We require TWO references, one from someone at your college and one from another individual that can speak to your attributes, past experiences, communication, teamwork and cultural competency. You will be asked to provide the email addresses of your references and they will be sent an email asking them to fill out the reference online.)
- Please ensure your references are timely in their responses. Reference letters will be accepted until February 7, 2020.
Current Undergraduate or Master’s Student (must be enrolled as an Undergraduate Junior, Undergraduate Senior or Master's level student during the fall semester of the program year).
If you are transitioning to graduate school in the fall semester of the program year, you must provide proof of application or acceptance.
Have a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or above
U.S. Citizen or permanent resident (International students are not eligible for this program)
Able to commit to the full 12-week summer research experience. Other employment, courses, commitments, vacations, etc. are prohibited during the program. Please ensure you can comply with a full time schedule before you apply.
We particularly encourage applications from students from underrepresented, disadvantaged, non-traditional or first-generation college backgrounds or who attend schools with limited research opportunities.
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED FOR SUMMER 2020 - SELECTION IN PROCESS - PARTICIPANTS WILL BE NOTIFIED IN MARCH